Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sometimes I Have REALLY Bad Luck.

I knew that the road to the marathon would not be without a bump here and there. I had doubted this fact, because everything has been going perfectly so far - exactly as planned.

Well, the past two days have proven to be a hugely inconvenient bump. I have been home sick since Wednesday afternoon, with a killer head cold. I have tried just about every home remedy (including lots and lots of sleep) and have popped a lot of Dayquil, Nyquil, and cough drops. The symptoms are only starting to subside.

Of course, work is my top priority, and my goal is to feel better quickly to go back to giving 100% on the job. I may be contagious, because a coworker told me she started coming down with the same sort of cold after I had starting feeling sick. As a result, I know that everyone at work is on board with me taking sick leave.

Now, I am forced to juggle my priorities for the weekend. Tonight, I was scheduled to do my long run, because I am due to meet my friend at the beach Friday evening. This is a trip that I have been looking forward to for months now. Thanks to my sickness, there is no way that I can do my 9 miler tonight. If I am feeling better by tomorrow, then I will get it in either before or after work. If not, it will have to wait until Saturday or Sunday - while I'm planning to be at the beach. I have to believe that my friend will understand, because she knows about my marathon training.

Why can't marathoners-in-training be immune to illness? At the very least, getting sick has made me realize that, even with the best laid plans, something can still go wrong. I will continue to rest up and recover from this bout of illness - and rue the person who shared his/her illness with me.

On the plus side, maybe this will be the only sickness I have to deal with during the course of my training. If that's the case, I'm glad to have gotten it out of the way now (though still mad that it had to occur right before beach weekend). Perhaps I should wear a surgical mask the week of my race, just as an extra precaution.

2 comments:

  1. Feel better Jill. Don't fret too much... remember, you started your training months ahead of schedule. Enjoy your night at the beach. I'd share some of my peanut butter M&Ms with you, but I only have enough for me. Sounds like a good night for Chinese food too. Is Chinese food recommended for marathon runners? I've heard there's usually a pasta meal before a marathon. I don't feel much like cooking tonight. Well, I hope you enjoy your evening, and have a good weekend. Your body might be telling you it needs to rest. Enjoy the rest! Feel better. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad.

    I got back from the doctor today. It turns out I needed antibiotics.

    On the plus side: my doctor cleared me to start running again after I start with the antibiotics - just as long as I'm feeling better. She also said that I can go to the beach tomorrow... I just need to get plenty of rest and no heavy partying and limited alcohol.

    As for Chinese food: if I had a race in China, then I'd eat Chinese food... but otherwise, I'll stick to bland stuff like pasta.

    ReplyDelete