Saturday, June 25, 2011

15 Mile Run - Saturday 6/25

Today's entry is going to be a short one, because I have to go help a friend move into her new apartment. This is the first year in about six years that I haven't had to move from one place to another, so I am feeling especially generous and ready to use my moving muscles for the common good.

My 15 mile run took me on a brand new trail. I took the Four Mile Run trail heading west, through Shirlington, and through Barcroft Park. I then turned around and headed up the Mount Vernon Trail to directly underneath the Metro rail, which allowed me to meet my 15 mile goal.

The entire run felt awesome today - legs, lungs, stomach, etc. The only downside was that I got scarred by the seams on my sports bra, but the burns aren't too deep. I should probably ask for advice on the best sports bra. (Anybody have suggestions?) The weather was also just perfect - a light breeze and slightly overcast. It was just the most perfect morning.

I was easily distracted from the running itself this week because I was running such a new trail. Compared to most trails, the Four Mile Run trail had many, many forks in the road. I had studied the map the night prior, so I knew which turn to take for most of the trail. I did take one wrong turn over the wrong bridge, but I quickly figured out that I had made a mistake and only ran an additional 1 or 2 minutes.

My favorite landmarks on this trail - and why I will return to it - were in Shirlington. Next to the river I could see the Shirlington Dog Park and some dogs playing in the river. On the opposite side, I found the Animal Welfare League of Arlington. I enjoy the fact that I can see the dogs and not have to worry about if they are going to run after me and bite me, because they are separated by a river and a fence.

Compared to my other trails, this was also a much more suburban trail. In Barcroft Park, it felt like I was running in the woods. As my runs increase in mileage up to a max of 20, I can truly get the rustic experience along with the city experience, all in the same run.

One other point on the Four Mile Run: it is silly to see signs that say "FOUR MILE RUN - MILE 6.5". I wonder what genius named it the Four Mile Run. Perhaps I should look up the history on that.

Next week, I continue the progression with 16 miles - and then it's a stepback week.

Time to go move some boxes!

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the run today jill. Its always nice to find new routes to run on instead of always on the mall or haines point. No suggestion on sports bras at all. How's the stretching yoga going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Have you considered investing in a GPS and Heart Monitor combination watch. Luke was telling me about them last weekend as we walked the High Line in Manhattan. That would be perfect for you heading out on new trails so you don't get lost. And you could track your pulse at the same time for optimum performance. Ask him about one. I know he's done some investigating because he was talking about getting back into running himself for better conditioning.

    2) In one of your earlier blog post comments, someone mentioned liberally applying vaseline to ANYWHERE that could chaffe. Now that you're heading into the higher mileage runs, it would be worth experimenting. That might solve you sports bra dilemma.

    3) Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ - Thank you for the encouragement! If I decide to do the yoga class, it would start up the first week in July. I might look online for some videos, but until then, I haven't done any more since that preview session. Whatever I choose, I know it will be beneficial. Also - thanks for not giving advice on sports bras. I would have been a little concerned if you were an expert!

    Dad - I've thought about getting the Garmin, but it would be an investment piece. For now, MapMyRun is the only tool I need. I do have the Nike+, and I've used it once - but I noticed that it calibrated the distance incorrectly. It said that an 8 mile run was 11 miles. I'd have to fix it before I go back to that. Also, I'll try the Vaseline. (Thanks to Sarah for that suggestion!) I've been putting on sunscreen basically everywhere now that the summer has started, but I guess that wasn't enough today.

    ReplyDelete