Sunday, June 12, 2011

4 Mile Run - Sunday 6/12

I get to write a bonus entry this weekend, because I did a light run this morning to make up for being sick on Thursday and Friday. Since I spent Saturday afternoon through Sunday at Virginia Beach, I got to run along the paved walkway next to the beach.

Unlike most beaches I've been to, the walkway at Virginia Beach is not a boardwalk. It is a paved road. There are two sides, divided by grass: one for cyclists and another for walkers/runners. This eliminated a key obstacle for me today, one that I have seen on all of my outdoor runs so far.

Yet, the walkway wasn't any less crowded because of the absence of cyclists. Once I passed the pier, the beach was taken over by beach soccer players. Virginia Beach was hosting the North American Sand Soccer Championships, and they took up the entire north side of the strip. I took a look at some of the teams there. They had some from universities and many youth teams. There were some pop-up stands with soccer gear and tons of soccer parents armed with snacks, water, and sunscreen. This certainly took me back to a place in my life when soccer was a huge part, and it was great to see the soccer sub-culture in action even if just for one weekend. In all of the soccer tournaments I've ever done, though, none have been on the beach - with absolutely no shade and 90-plus degree weather for most of the day. I am not sure if I would be tough enough now, even, to take on a tournament like that, so it made me respect all of the players.

The other items of note on the boardwalk were the mile markers. Once I reached the north end of the boardwalk, I saw a mile marker for 2.5. After I found that, I realized that I could find the 0.5 mark and reach my goal perfectly. When I ran back south, I found the 1.0 but was never able to find the 0.5. Because of how long I ran, I am sure that I reached it and likely passed it - so my 4 miler was probably a 4.25 miler. Oh, well - I'd say that's for the best, anyway.

All in all, it was a great run - it was a little warm out, but my lungs felt so much better than yesterday. It seems like the antibiotics are really working! I'm ready to get back to a normal week of working and running - oh, and blogging. Up next on Saturday: 14 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment