Friday, June 24, 2011

Help Me Choose My Next Half Marathon!

One of the items that has been on my to-do list for a while has been to schedule a second half-marathon before the big race in October. As much as I hate paying registration fees and traveling just to run, I know that racing is an important part of training. I wouldn’t get the marathon race day experience any other way – or at least not as close to an experience as what a half can provide. Plus, with one half marathon already under my belt, I can see just how much progress I have made since my April 30 finish of 1:51:02. Perhaps I can get under 1:50!

I am looking at races in August through early September. Five events match my timing criteria and are close enough to me that I would seriously consider doing them. However, I cannot do all of them and must choose the “best” one.

Click on each race name for each race’s website and more information.

Riley's Rumble, Boyds, MD
Sunday, August 7
Pros: Inexpensive ($22.30), 7 a.m. start, hotel not required
Cons: No race tee 
Ben Moore Memorial Half Marathon, Annapolis, MD 
Saturday, August 13

Pros: Inexpensive ($30), 7 a.m. start, Saturday run (normal day for long run)
Cons: Does not specify if there is a race tee, may get a hotel

The Wild Half, Wildwood, NJ 
Sunday, August 28
Pros: Race expotechnical tee, single weekend pass to Morey's Piers included with race fee
Cons: Expensive ($75)later (7:30 a.m.) start, hotel required

Labor Day Half Marathon, Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY 
Sunday, September 4

Pros: Inexpensive ($22), could perhaps get friends and family to watch, hotel not required, lower temperature possible (because of location and weekend), during a long weekend
Cons: Not a lot of information listed on the website

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Virginia Beach, VA 
Sunday, September 4
Pros: Race expo
, technical tee, rock bands along the course

Cons: Expensive ($110), hotel required

I will likely select a race within the next couple of weeks. If you had to choose for me, which would you pick and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment