Saturday, June 11, 2011

9 Mile Run - Saturday 6/11

This is going to be a short post, because my doctor cleared me to go to the beach this weekend and I have to try and beat at least some of the traffic.

The best part about this week's 9 miler is that I did it! My doctor told me to go ahead and run, but I couldn't do it at high intensity - so, there went my 15K at race pace. I went a normal out-and-back run - starting at my apartment and running to the back side of the Lincoln Memorial and then back.

Everything about this week's run felt a little off, because I am still sick and am medicated. Thanks to the lovely post-nasal drip (which is about 80% better than earlier this week but still enough to interfere with running), my lungs weren't enjoying today's run as much as normal. Yesterday, I took some Mucinex before bed, and it didn't go down well so I felt like I was going to throw up for part of the run. I took a Cepacol before running, so for the first two miles my throat was numb. That was actually a good feeling. However, when I had to drink my Powerade at scheduled intervals, the taste of Cepacol plus Powerade was just awful - and one I hope to never have to experience again. At least I know that I am on antibiotics now and it will hopefully be a while before I do a long run with this much medicine in me.

I will look back on today's run come marathon day as a time when I persevered despite everything going against me. I didn't go all out in today's run, but I did finish it - and that's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment