Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Non-Running Aspects of Training: Part 2

Thank you so much to all of my friends and family who posted advice on activities to supplement running. As promised, below is what I have been doing for the past few months.

Friday (cross-training day): 20 minutes easy on the elliptical

After each run/workout: Pushups, backwards (triceps) pushups, abs series, leg pushups, light stretching inbetween

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after workout: Lower body weight training, including light weight series (15 lbs) and leg press (200 lbs)

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday after workout: Upper body training, including light weight series (10 lbs) and chest press (40 lbs)

Monday evening: Extra 20 minute ab routine - available for free on Hulu at http://www.hulu.com/watch/35665/six-pack-abs-incredible-abs

Thursday evening: Extra 10 minute ab routine - I choose one of the free ones available on Hulu at http://www.hulu.com/six-pack-abs or set a timer for 10 minutes

Future posts in the Non-Running series will include:
1. Demonstrations of some of the above exercises and series, especially some of my favorites like the leg pushup
2. My feedback on your suggestions and how they worked for me
3. Nutrition and some of my favorite meals that have helped my running and recovery
4. Anything else you think I should write about?

2 comments:

  1. 1) Can you speak of the recent solar flair and how it may affect your training routine in the coming days? Will you seek more shaded routes?

    2) Do you think any Republicans would train with you, or continue to stand on the sidelines wondering when is the time right to enter the race?

    3) Last night I had "a large fries and medium chocolate shake" at Burger King. Today I had a Milky Way and M&Ms at work. Is it better to fuel up on sugar for a quick energy boost, or consume fatty foods to store up calories for the long run? What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily I think I can address all of these in one comment:

    1) I enjoy the heat but also don't run in the hottest part of the day so any bizarre changes in the weather probably won't affect my routes. I might just wear extra sunscreen.

    2) Running is an apolitical activity and anyone can run (as long as their bodies are up for it).

    3) I don't eat fries at all (haven't in 9 years now) and only eat chocolate on the weekends now. I don't think I'd recommend either of those meals/snacks as a good energy boost or as fuel for a long run.... I'm not an expert but I think they'll just make you fat and lazy through sugar shock and just bad fats.

    ReplyDelete