Thursday, June 16, 2011

Non-Running Aspects of Training: Part 3

Recently, I tried out two running supplements: pilates and yoga. My apartment complex hosted a "preview week" for fitness classes offered by a company called N2SHAPE. I chose to preview the two that I thought could best supplement my running. (The others were cardio-based, like Zumba and kickboxing.) I saw benefits to each practice, but by far yoga was my favorite.

The pilates class that I took focused on form more than performing the moves - which, for a first class, was actually quite good for me. The instructor, Tatyana, walked around to each student and positioned us into the right spots if we were off kilter. I understood the importance of keeping your bottom wrapped and tucked for different moves and always engaging the core. Personally, I learned that I keep my shoulders too tight, but I am good at pressing my back close to the ground. As for the class itself, I did not come away feeling strengthened, relaxed, or loosened. I learned a little bit but did not feel that my running benefited too much from the class.

I had a very different experience in my yoga class. The yoga instructor, Beth, is quite popular; she hosts sunrise yoga in the Crystal City water park, and she had a large class. I could tell that many were there just to get instruction from her. In the class, form was important, but the moves were performed and shown in a good succession. She would demonstrate the moves and then encourage us to perform them on our own. She taught a lot of fluid movements - the vinyasas that Sarah recommended - and my body did better at them than the static movements. The motions didn't fatigue me, and they stretched areas that I hadn't thought to focus on. Quite a few of the movements focused on the hip flexors, which for runners can get very tight. The only negative of the session was that for some of the poses, my left quad couldn't stop shaking. I think this meant that it was fatigued. However, when I did my morning run the next day, it felt great - even better than on the run prior. I wouldn't do this yoga every day, but I may very well sign up for the once-a-week class with Beth.

I wanted to comment on some of the advice you have given me for my non-running training - thank you to all who have done so. I am always open to advice, so please continue to post if you think of something!

Sarah - The yoga session was great. Thank you for the comment on the vinyasas. I also liked the triangle exercise - it really helps to give a complete stretch in areas I don't always address. I also appreciate your coach's advice. I am definitely running and sticking to my plan, but I want to maximize everything and make sure I am 100% ready on race day. No, I am not a naturally gifted runner, so I will still have to stick to a good diet and lift weights!

CJ - Thank you for the advice on ice baths. I can't do them at 50 degree water temperature, but I think I can dunk my legs into the pool as an alternative. On 90 degree days, this will probably even be a relief. I tried this out about a week and a half ago, and it helped with my recovery the day after.

Megan - I am comforted to hear that sticking to the training plan works. I sometimes wonder if I should run more or even less, but knowing that the plan brings you success on race day is something I will have to trust. My challenge this past week and a half was dealing with being sick, but I was able to make up the one run I missed and not feel fatigued.

2 comments:

  1. Jill great work on supplementing your running. How is your nutrition on your long runs? This is something you really wanna try to play with during training so you haveit nailed down during the race.

    How much are you drinking
    ? How much are you eating? What are you eating? All of these are important questions to figure out and us to test your racing nutrition.

    Great job again. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CJ! On my long runs, I drink Powerade and that's it. I haven't really changed it very much. I do realize that on longer runs I may need to carry a "snack", so this is something I may experiment with.

    I think that in the near future I'll do a longer post on my nutrition, but in a nutshell:
    -I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian that also eats fish. (Some people call this a "pescatarian".)
    -I cut out baked goods for the duration of my training. I also limit chocolate to the weekends.
    -I drink a lot of hot water at work and some diet teas. My favorite tea is Honest Tea (pomegranate blue flavor). I also drink diet soda and I know that I should probably cut that out or limit it.
    -In my opinion, I think I'm eating A LOT... but I've also lost a lot of weight during training, so "a lot" is relative.

    ReplyDelete