Thursday, June 30, 2011

Costs of Running a Marathon

Anybody that can run can run a marathon, right? Right (in my opinion). The amount spent on a jog around the neighborhood is the same as what is spent on a marathon, right? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I will attempt to quantify the true cost of running my MCM, while highlighting areas of savings and benefits of the marathon.

1. Registration fees for event and training races - The MCM fee is about $100, and race fees for half marathons run about $20-$100(ish). I will do 1 marathon plus 2 half marathons (1 already completed) in preparation. Total: $150-$250

2. Hotel costs for training races - I am lucky that I do not need a hotel for my MCM. However, I did require a hotel for my first half, and I may need one for my second half. Total: $70-$200

3. Food - Thanks to my increased calorie expenditure, I am spending more money at the grocery store. On average, I probably spend an extra $5-$20 on food as compared with before my training. I also get a smoothie once a week from the Smoothie King, which runs about $5.50 per week. With 40 weeks of training, that’s an extra $400-$1,000 spent on food.

4. Newspaper - To cut down on food costs, I started getting Sunday delivery of the Washington Post. I am now clipping coupons like a soccer mom. The paper is 59 cents per paper, but this easily pays for itself.

5. Vitamins - To fill in any nutritional gaps and keep my body running in top shape, I take a Women’s One A Day. Total: about $10 over the course of training

6. Powerade - I drink Powerade on all outdoor runs (7 miles or more). I go through a bottle about once every 3 weeks. At $1 a bottle, that’s about $14.

7. Nathan water bottle plus water bottle holder - This is worth its weight in gold, as it allows me to carry my water bottle plus keys and essentials. Its strap means that I can run without ever holding onto the water bottle. I will use this during my race, and it will eliminate the need to walk through water stations. Total: $18 at the National Marathon expo

8. Running shoes - I am currently rotating two pairs of sneakers. One I got for about $80 online, and the other was $40 at the National Marathon expo. I’ll likely need one more pair before training ends and don’t know of many race expos in the near future - so I’ll put the third pair at about $80. Total: $200

9. Technical tops, tees, underwear, and shorts - Each new garment runs about $5-$30. I’ll take a ballpark estimate here and say the total will be around $300.

10. Socks - It’s $5-$10 for a good pair of running socks. I will need some soon. Total: $5-$30

11. Watch/Garmin - I am currently using a cheap watch that, believe it or not, was originally purchased for my trip to Zambia. It cost me no more than $5. However, I am considering upgrading to a Garmin, which would run me at least $100-$300. Total: $5-$305

12. Nike+ - I decided to try the Nike+ feature on my iPod touch to track my mileage. I still have to play with it to see if it can actually calibrate well, because it definitely did not the first time out. I spent around $40 for the Nike+ sensor, the shoe pouch, and an armband for my iPod touch. The only hidden cost here is my iPod touch - which I won in a raffle. Thanks, Elon Dining Services! Total: $40

13. Medicine - To tame the trots and settle my stomach, I purchased some Pepto Bismol (mild medicine) and some Imodium (strong medicine) based on my needs at the time. Total: $5

14. Massages - On average, I have been getting a 30 minute massage from the Healthy Magic place in Pentagon City about once every two months. It’s $1/minute plus tip. Over 8 months of training, that’s 4 massages (plus I’ll probably get an extra one before my race). Total: $144-$180

15. Vaseline/lotion/sunscreen - These items keep my skin burn-free. Total: about $10

16. Flat shoes - I will likely be purchasing a pair or two of flat shoes soon. These are much better for my feet than the heels that I wear on most days to work. Total: $20-$40

Total costs: $1,391-$2,602

Yuck.

On the plus side, it could be a lot worse. Here are some of my tricks for keeping costs low.

1. Get gear at marathon expos. When the National Marathon came to DC, I knew I wasn’t going to run it - but I knew I was going to attend the expo! Local and national retailers sell staple items for runners at these expos at deep discounts, often 50% off or less. I got a pair of sneakers that would normally sell for $100 at $40. That alone was worth the trip.

2. Buy in bulk at Costco. Some grocery costs can be cut drastically by buying in bulk. For instance, I always save a lot more money when I buy my granola bars and nuts there. As staple foods, I know I will run through them fast, so they won’t take up too much extra space in my cabinets.

3. Do exercises on Hulu/other free streaming sites. If Hulu charged money for Cindy Whitmarsh’s Six Pack Abs routine, they would have made a killing off of me by now. Yet, they don’t, and so I continue to get a great workout cost-free. I will be doing this with my yoga, too, instead of spending $240 for Beth’s class. I absolutely loved her class, but it just doesn’t make economic sense for me right now to take it.

4. Clip coupons. Again, the newspaper that I buy to clip coupons instantly pays for itself.

5. Use a free marathon training plan. Hal Higdon’s plans have guided many a novice marathoner to victory. Best of all, they are free! I know of people that are paying $100 plus for their plan, but I just don’t think it’s worth it when Hal’s plan fits my lifestyle.

6. Live somewhere with gym/pool access and no need to drive or bike to a trail. I pay no gym fee and run straight from my apartment to the trails. I live in a great area that really pays dividends come time for a workout.

7. Purchase Aflac accident protection. I can run all out in my workouts, because I know that if I get injured, I have health insurance through my employer, as well as an even better benefit for the potentially injury-prone: the accident protection plan through Aflac. I can run my little heart out, and if I need to get an ambulance or get hurt, Aflac will pay me cash on the spot. It provides great peace of mind and helps me to avoid huge medical bills due to running.

With all costs, there (should) come benefits. Training for the Marine Corps Marathon is no exception. Here are just a few of the benefits:

1. The MCM experience, as described by an Active.com board poster: http://community.active.com/message/525366
“Provided in exchange for your entry fee: expo; bib; race shirt; timing chip; 5 AM Metro opening; Runners Village; baggage check; zillions of porta-pottis (but never one when you really need it); start corrals; 20000 fellow runners; howitzer blast; timing mats; 26.2 mile police-controlled race course; on-course volunteers, water, powerade, gels, oranges, sport beans and scenery including many monuments; Hains Point; one hated bridge; a hill up to the finish line; finisher's medal provided by handsome Marine; space blanket; pictures in front of the Iwo Jima;a congested finisher area; various finisher food; finish festival, also congested; baggage claim; an absolutely insane line to get on the Metro.” My additions to this list are that the MCM now has a field of 30,000 runners, there is a flyover before the race start, I will get the chance to beat Drew Carey in person, and family and friends will have a great event to attend (and an excuse to attend, in support of me!).

2. The chance to raise money for Periclean Scholars Alumni Association. I am using my milestone race as an opportunity to support one of the groups that is closest to my heart. I know I could not have done this without a milestone race such as the Marine Corps Marathon.

3. An excuse to go on vacation. Ever since I moved to the DC area, friends and coworkers have been telling me about Ocean City, MD. Well, I finally had a great excuse to go there this April, thanks to my half marathon. My second half may also be an excuse to travel.

4. Physiological benefits. Thanks to marathon training, I have better endurance, flexibility, and strength. I also never have to worry about my weight. In undertaking this much physical activity, I also believe it will lead to a longer life - which is a great investment, in my opinion!

5. Discipline. I would not get up on those Saturday morning long runs without a goal like the Marine Corps Marathon. While friends may stay out late or sleep in, I am motivated to hit the trail and get in a great workout. It also keeps me on track to complete - and complete well - my runs during the week.

6. Sense of accomplishment. I have been told that there is nothing like finishing your first marathon. I cannot wait to get that feeling. This alone is worth the investment of time, money, and effort.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea running a marathon was so expensive. I admire your dedication and pursuit (of happiness) toward your goals. I however, am going to stick to walking Moxie, eating chips and beer, and try to remember to recycle the empties --- I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of our local garbage picking DPW goon squad and get socked with a $1,200 fine. It would still cost less than participating in and training for your marathon. So as I sit on the couch this holiday weekend having another cold beer... I'll be thinking about you! Pass the bowl of M&Ms and snickers bars please. Have fun Jill. Love you.

    ReplyDelete