Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Heat Wave - And What It Means To My Running

For today's blog entry, I will discuss a topic that has been the main item of discussion all day long: the hot summer weather. I'll take this topic and show you how it unites my passions for marathon training and the PSAA.

There is no question that it has been extreme, at over 100 degrees Fahrenheit today here in the DC metro area. Thursdays are one of only two days that I run outside, but I decided to do my 7 miler on the treadmill instead of outside. The Spin-Offs softball game was cancelled due to extreme heat. I could stand outside and do absolutely nothing, and I would still get sweaty after about ten minutes.

Saturday's low morning temperature is expected to be around 85 degrees and still very, very humid. I have chosen a path that has plenty of shade. I am already beginning to hydrate for Saturday's run, and I think I will bring extra Powerade along. I will lay out my clothes along the air conditioning vents to ensure that they are as cool as possible before running. I might even join the shirtless runner club, since I will be starting so early and will not be out during the sun's most intense hours. If not, then I might shove ice in different parts of my running attire to cool me down.

Normally, the heat is my saving grace, thanks to my Raynaud's phenomenon. I despised training in the cold. My training began at the end of February, and I wore tights, long-sleeved shirts, ear warmers, and gloves for many weeks in a row. I was thrilled when I was finally able to remove layers and wear just a t-shirt and shorts for a long run. Once we head into September (and certainly for the MCM race), I will be putting those layers back on. The only plus side of running in the cold is that the air is lighter and less humid, and it is easier for breathing. However, with the possibility of the roads icing and never knowing exactly how many layers I will need during the run, I have always preferred running in the summer.

Although necessary for training, running in the heat is a choice. I could always split my run in two or three parts by running it on the treadmill, and I can honestly say that I would not run outside on Saturday had it not been for my MCM goal. So, why do it?

Exposing myself to the elements through my running is an inspiration in that it makes me closer to the people in Zambia. In Zambia and other Periclean nations, unlike in the United States, people who are homeless cannot duck into a mall or homeless shelter when the weather gets severe. If there is a heat wave in rural Zambia, those without a home must continue on as normal. They make the best with what they have - they build mud huts (which get washed away in downpours) or find shelter under a tree. To me, this is not acceptable, so I work to do what I can to secure this basic need for them, for my fellow global citizens.

To be honest, we complain about the weather - yet, we have many conveniences to help us avoid its harshness. For the heat, we have clean water, ice cubes, public buildings that are climate controlled, air conditioning, and fans. We truly do not need to deal with it unless we absolutely have to. Sure, we might have to wait half an hour for a bus in the heat, and we might get a little sweaty - but truly, we know that we can look forward to being out of that weather soon after we begin to complain about it.

If Saturday's weather seems unbearable, I must think about how it will only be a matter of hours until I reach air conditioning - instead of an indefinite amount of time or an entire lifetime. If it downpours during the marathon, I will think about my time in Zambia during the rainy season and how we were still able to build two houses in spite of the heavy rain. We sheltered two families from those elements by enduring.

The weather, like so many things in life, is subject to change and temporary in nature. It is most often discussed as small talk and how it affects our day and moods. For me, especially tomorrow, the extreme weather will symbolize stability in the face of change, to persevere in extreme conditions and to focus on others instead of on myself. Sure, I will take care of myself and do all that I can to keep cool, but the object of Saturday's run will not be to keep myself comfortable. It will be to bring modern comforts to my fellow global citizens, to the Periclean partners. It's what the journey is about. I can do this.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of enduring the heat... I heard Congress approved a debt ceiling fan.

    ReplyDelete