Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Breathing Techniques for Distance Running

While the general population seems to take our basic needs as human beings as given, it seems like the “basics” are the subjects of special attention to runners. Basics include eating, sleeping, and breathing. Today, I will focus on my experience with targeted breathing.

Yesterday, I stumbled across an article that mentioned how most runners do not breathe properly for peak performance. We do not breathe deeply and instead keep the air near the top of our lungs, in shallow breaths. Doing so limits the potential for oxygen to reach our muscles. The preferred type of breathing is called “belly breathing” and should be practiced by everyone - not just runners - as it improves oxygen circulation (and has even been purported by some to reduce aging).

A way to check whether you are belly breathing or not is to place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest. When you take a breath, one hand should rise and fall. If it is the hand on your abdomen, then you are belly breathing. If it is the hand on your chest, your breathing is shallow.

During my run this morning, I took belly breathing for a test run. I paid more attention to the lower cavity in my abdomen - whether or not I could feel it filling up with air. In order to take the belly breaths, I had to take slower breaths. Most of them required my mouth open for both inhale and exhale. (I normally inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth when running.)

For a test run, the results were mixed. I activated my diaphragm muscles more than normal, and it was the first time that I paid any attention to them during my run. Because I was so focused on breathing deeply, I did not really concentrate on whether my legs were straining more than normal. Perhaps as a result of this, I was able to run faster with less perceived exertion. However, at about mile 3.5, I started to feel a side stitch on my right side. Normally when I feel side stitches, I will slow my breathing down - but I was already breathing more slowly. To fix the side stitch, I slowed down my speed by about 0.5 mph and started to breathe how I normally would.

I think that in the long term, practicing breathing fully will be important and enable me to improve my performance. However, I think that I do need to ease into it with breathing exercises outside of running. I have also heard that Pilates can improve the deep belly breathing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for proper breathing while running - or for breathing exercises to improve my breathing form?

2 comments:

  1. I read an article somewhere...cant remember where it was but anyway. It said that you are suppose to inhale for three foot falls and exhale for two foot falls. I do this method when I run. It seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tammy for the feedback! Is this the same pattern no matter how fast you are going? I'll have to try it out on Saturday's long run. (Tomorrow is cross training for me.)

    ReplyDelete