Thursday, September 1, 2011

Opportunity - MLK Jr. Tribute Series

Today’s post continues the series inspired by the recent opening of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Memorial in DC. Dr. King was a model citizen and human being, whose values guide and inspire Pericleans today. As the second in this series, this post will address opportunity as an area of needed growth among Americans, as it relates to race relations.

Opportunity is the chance for us to achieve our full potential. It is not being shut off prematurely by any sort of force. Granted, not all opportunities will be realized, but the potential for them to develop is there in a free and just society. This opening is what Dr. King championed.

Opportunity in the racial context would see us all rise above race as a qualifier to unlimited potential. In some cases, such as through scholarships, opportunity can be granted through belonging to a certain racial group, but these chances primarily come along as a result of lack of opportunity in the normal arena. True opportunity in the context of race would be to have race play a minimal or wholly insignificant role in the development of potential.

My desire to see race removed as a barrier to opportunity stems partly from my Periclean experience in Zambia. For my entire life, I was in the majority and never needed to consider my own race as an impediment. Then, I became a “muzungu”, or white person, as known in Zambia. I was singled out as the subject of attention because of my race. People in Zambia assumed certain things about me as a result of the color of my skin. From the looks I got, I assumed I was not from their country, a true “Zambian”. From the way I was approached, they assumed I had money to spend. I was given special (and not equal) treatment just by being of a different race, just by being muzungu.

I was not harmed or disrespected by being a muzungu in a nation of Zambians, but I did get a sense of being the “other”. I was not free to interact with people or travel without the stares and being approached. Zambia is one of the safest nations in the African continent, and I am thankful that I was able to get this experience there without fear of harm. However, the invisible barrier shows to me that we still have strides to make toward achieving King’s vision.

The experience of being in the minority is something I consider to be an opportunity. It frees me from the shackles of apathy and oblivion. It allows me the chance and the potential to spread the message of fellow global citizens’ lack of opportunity. If I had lived a sheltered life, then the opportunity for me to do this would have been cut off prematurely.

So long as the Periclean program exists as a vibrant force guided by a robust mission, America’s potential for opportunity sought by Dr. King will continue to grow - and will lead to mirrored growth in partner nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment