Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Marathon by Numbers

I am no longer just a person; I am now also a number.

This afternoon, I received my bib number in a confirmation e-mail from the Marine Corps Marathon organizers. I will be runner # 12501. Receiving this number means there is no turning back. I have an identity in this race.

Numbers do motivate me to run harder, faster, and stronger. The numbers on the treadmill console or my watch inspire me to go faster, and the numbers in my running log inspire me to stay consistent. For additional motivation, I will take this time to share some numbers that have propelled me in my marathon journey.

196: Days since I began training for the marathon.
52: Days left until the marathon.
52: Number of miles I will run during my heaviest training week.
171: Number of miles I ran during the month of August.
1,013: Number of miles I have run this year.
2: Scheduled training days that I missed due to illness.
0: Scheduled training days that I missed due to injury.
30,000: Approximate number of people who start the MCM each year.
21,948: Number of MCM finishers in 2010.
4:44:14: Average finish time of 2010 MCM finishers.
6: Miles per hour starting pace for each treadmill run.
7: Miles per hour tempo pace for each treadmill run.
5:00:00: Corral that I will be in for MCM.
4:00:00 (or below): Goal finish time. (I enjoy passing people!)
9:09: Pace per mile to achieve goal finish time.
1: Incline for each treadmill run.
4:30: Earliest start time for my summer long run.
9:00: Start time for MCM (a.m.).
1:15: Time I need to beat the 14th Street Bridge to continue MCM (p.m.).
2: (Each of) legs, arms, and lungs that will propel me to the finish line.
1: Body, heart, and soul that is responsible for me crossing the finish line.
Unlimited: Number of supporters, both through PSAA and elsewhere, that make all of the above numbers worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment