Saturday, September 17, 2011

20 Mile Run - Saturday 9/17

Today, I accomplished two of my major pre-marathon goals: a 20 mile run and a 52 mile week. I took a path that combined some of my favorite loops: from home to the Mount Vernon Trail, to Hains Point, up north to the Lincoln Memorial, east to the pool right in front of the Capitol, back west to the Lincoln Memorial, up north to Georgetown, across the Key Bridge, and back south down the Mount Vernon Trail and back home.

I started today's run a little later than normal, for a couple of reasons. First, it is getting colder out, so I no longer need to get up before dawn to avoid the heat. Second, I have been having pain in my left heel - I think it might be the Achille's tendon. Even though it felt mostly good yesterday, I am terrified that something bad will happen on a run and all of my training will go down the drain. That being said, it felt a million times better today than it did on Thursday when it first started hurting. Third, since I started running so late, my dog got her walk before my run today. Fourth, I forgot to get Powerade and had to go to the store before my run. With all that being said, I finally started my watch at 7:50 a.m.

Today's weather was in the high 50s to low 60s. Compared to normal, this was freezing for someone like me. Since it was overcast with some raindrops, I threw a windbreaker atop my technical tee. I wore my normal shorts. Combined, this outfit made me feel neither too warm nor too cold over the course of the run.

The streets leading to the trail were dead, but they came alive the second I hit the Mount Vernon Trail. Many teams and running groups were putting in their miles, and they had water stops along the way set up for them. This may be because of how late I ran in the morning, or the fact that the weather is getting cooler. Due to the weather, today's athletes wore mostly long-sleeved shirts; many even wore running tights. Yet, I saw the man with the gray shorts and the orange stripe, with the two knee braces, and he did not add any layers at all.

When I crossed over the George Mason Bridge, I noticed that there were a couple of events going on down at Hains Point. The first one was the Run Geek Run 8K. My path took me clear through the race! I ran in the opposite direction of the racers, so I was able to observe their running form and get ideas for race attire. Since I was going in the opposite direction, a volunteer called out my time as I crossed the race's 2 mile mark. It was something like 42 minutes, which would be abysmal - even for walkers! I just smiled and said "thank you". I was even offered water at the aid stations. At the edge furthest south on Hains Point, the volunteer manning the music asked me if I was running the race - because if I were, I would have to turn left. I just said, "nope"!  Since the music was blasting south, as soon as I passed the music booth I got an earful of Gwen Stefani's "It's My Life".

As I passed the Tidal Basin and headed up the Rock Creek Park trails toward the Lincoln Memorial, I noticed there were many tents, houses, Port-o-Potties, and bike racks at West Potomac Park. AT first, I thought that they had forgotten to clean up from last weekend's Nation's Triathlon. Then, I realized that they were setting up for - of all things - the Department of Energy's Solar Decathlon. Who would have guessed that a solar decathlon, of all things, would create the biggest mess I have ever seen at this park?

As I continued on and neared the Lincoln Memorial, I thought about my run last weekend and my fall on the nearby cobblestones. I thought about paying extra attention to the ground beneath my feet. Well, this could not have happened at a better time, because when I looked ahead of me, I saw a huge pile of horse poop. Thankfully I was able to dodge that, unlike last week's cobblestones. I doubt it would have injured me, but it would have made me miserable for the rest of my run.

Since I was out running so late, I encountered more tourists than normal - especially on the National Mall. In the past, such as during Cherry Blossom Season, I found it my duty as a runner to get in as many pictures as possible of unsuspecting tourists - i.e., photobomb them. However, today I was feeling nice. When tourists would stand on the right side of the sidewalk and take a picture of something on the left side, I would go off of the sidewalk and around them so as not to obstruct their shot. I will count this as one small act of charity toward mankind today - even though I know they would have loved to have me in their pictures!

Another consequence of running later in the morning was that Georgetown might as well have been Hong Kong. The sidewalks were clogged with tourists and shoppers, none of which seemed too happy to see me bolting in their direction. I didn't really have to slow down my pace to pass them, but it did make me feel like I was in some sort of game - or maybe as though I were playing football and had to dodge everybody trying to tackle me. The best thing that I saw in Georgetown, however, was independent of other human beings. The words "Pinkberry - Swirling Soon" graced a storefront on M Street. Cue the Hallelujah chorus. Pinkberry is one of my favorite frozen yogurt places of all time, and I am so happy that they are adding one more to the DC mix.

Today's run was quite eventful, but that wasn't even the best part. The best part of today's run is that I feel great after it. I am walking around now, and I have no aches and pains. Yes, my hamstrings were somewhat tight toward the end of the run, but a couple of hours after, everything feels good as new - even my left Achilles tendon. If I were dumb today and wanted to prove something, I know that my body could have done the full 26.2. That being said, I will not hit that distance in my training, but I know after today's run that I can do it.

I have a stepback week next week. The week after, I put in my second twenty miler - and then the taper begins. We are only 6 weeks out from marathon day. I cannot believe how soon it will be here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Jill... and a VERY entertaining blog today. You were cracking me up! You've hit a milestone --- 20 miles. This is where marathon runners say they hit "the wall." You sound ready to bust through that wall. I'm very excited about your progress. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete