Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mental Techniques for Runners: Visualizations

In line with the concept of dissociation, I have used visualization techniques to mentally propel myself further toward my goals. Objects or concepts take on new and powerful meanings when I see them in this light. Running for long distances requires a certain degree of mental toughness and discipline, which I have found comes easier with visualization.

My visualizations include the following:


“On tap”: One time I heard a runner refer to their mileage as “X miles on tap for today”, as if each number were a flavor of beer. For example: 15 miles on tap would be a different “flavor” than 9 miles on tap. If I consider my daily mileage as a drink on tap, then my legs are the liquid that flow until I reach what is on tap. The rest of my body (including my mind) steers my legs and gets me to that “flavor”.


“Liquid courage”: This is Powerade. When I take a sip of my Powerade during a run, I get a shot of carbs and electrolytes that powers me further than if I did not have it at my disposal. Therefore, it gives me courage by making me feel stronger even as my muscles become more strained. I borrow this terminology from people who believe that other liquids (i.e., beer) make you artificially stronger. Visualizing Powerade as “liquid courage” gives me vigor when I might otherwise lose it.

I struggled to find an image for "breathing in and breathing out". Bear with me here.
Breathing in and breathing out: I got this visualization from a yoga class that I took earlier this summer. Each breath in should be seen as a gift from the universe. This helps me to be thankful for the world around me and the opportunity to run in it. Each breath out is visualized as returning that gift back. The breaths out help me to remember the gifts that I give through running - a better health-related quality of life that I can share with my family and friends, funds raised for Periclean Scholars, motivation of my MCM cohort, and more. This visualization makes running more about just me.

My breath, my beverage, and my body can be transformed through mental visualizations, which make me a tougher runner. Fellow runners: what visualizations do you use? What ordinary object or concept do you give superpowers during your run?

No comments:

Post a Comment