Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Goodness - Periclean Scholars & Fruits of the Spirit Series

Today's post in the Fruits of the Spirit series will address goodness. This fruit produced by the spirit exemplifies moral excellence, generosity, and strong virtue. By doing so, those who are full of the fruit of goodness use all of God’s creation for its rightful purpose.

Why were we put here on this earth? If only there were a simple answer to this question. The answer will vary for everyone, based on creed, upbringing, and overall values, but the collective answer should be in line with the concept of serving and benefiting others. I am a human being, just like everyone else here. My legacy should be woven in with the betterment of my fellow global citizens' lives, to as great a degree as possible.

The Periclean Scholars organization helped me to stop changing the channel on many of my fellow human beings that are in need of my assistance. Instead of ignoring the issues that are most pressing and most difficult to deal with, we were challenged to confront them and find the biggest challenge to tackle. Our purpose in developing and sustaining projects is to grow the fruit of goodness, in our classes and communities. With each new family that has the chance to live in a home in Zambia, with each new person in Namibia who is educated about the perils of HIV/AIDS, with each new clinic built, we are living out a deeper purpose.

As citizens of the developed world, we are equipped with many tools to carry out this work. They include our networks, our finances, the clothes off of our backs, the ability to write and petition, and more. I would argue that all of these powerful tools can be given in greater quantities to those in need thanks to our education. Therefore, the university setting - and the Periclean one, at that - is the perfect place to grow the fruit of goodness and purpose. We can choose to use these tools for good or for evil, for a strong purpose or for deep destruction.

Goodness is about inner purpose and intent. Our choices show how well our virtues are developed, if not the direction we yearn to take. For instance, an Elon student on a need-based scholarship may want to give back, but s/he cannot do so financially as readily as a student who grew up with a silver spoon in his/her mouth. For this student, opportunities such as the Periclean program enhance the ability to give back, as well as the ability to learn from the service. Though students in the developed world have more opportunities to give back, programs such as Periclean ensure that initial resources are not a hindrance.

Upon graduation from Elon, all alumni are equipped with the same diploma. I will argue, however, that they have different foundational educations and values based on how they chose to use their resources and grow their spirits. For those in the Periclean program, the diploma will be a powerful tool to do good deeds and to continue in generosity for the rest of their lives.

I am the first person to believe in free will, but I have to believe that there was a reason why I was born. There is a reason why my parents chose to have children and raise me as a citizen of the world. There is a reason beyond myself that I must give back. The spirit of goodness in me ensures that my time on earth is spent in pursuit of a positive purpose and legacy, not for myself and for my own pride, but for those who will come after me - around the world, and not just in my tiny community.

Goodness is more than just doing positive works. It is a deep sincerity in achieving our positive purpose. We were put here to serve others. I choose to use my free will and my time on this earth for that greater purpose, and the Periclean program has helped to grow that fruit in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment