Monday, May 16, 2011

Donor Acknowledgement - Tom Arcaro

How do I describe Tom Arcaro, Director of Project Pericles, to those who have never had the opportunity to get to know him? Simple: Tom Arcaro is to the Periclean Scholars Program what Steve Jobs is to Apple. Tom's guidance from the beginning through now and into the future has enabled the mission, innovation, and impact of all Periclean Scholars. His vision is the springboard for our success as cohorts. I certainly would not be writing this blog had it not been for Tom's support of my endeavors as an undergraduate and his continued belief in my ability to positively influence the world as a Periclean alum.

While we were in Kawama Community near Ndola, Zambia, working on the Eagle House (affectionately named after a local Zambian beer), Tom made an important statement to me on a day when I was particularly tired after digging latrines and carrying buckets of dirt through the sludge: this experience is a true test of character. This statement helped to carry me through the toughest parts of our journey building houses - to help prove that yes, I am strong enough to do this work and yes, it is worth it. It will now carry me through my training and through all 26.2 miles on that wonderful October morning.

Tom doesn't need to read my articles about why he should donate to the program. Tom has already given so much of his personal time, money, and effort to support us. I didn't need Tom to provide a financial contribution for him to influence my run - although by doing so, Tom has shown just one piece of evidence that he is dedicated to our individual success as Periclean Scholars, beyond our success as classes, cohorts, or programs. This contribution from Tom shows that he cares about my journey.

Thank you, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment