Saturday, May 7, 2011

9 Mile Run - Saturday 5/7

My long Saturday training runs are usually a variation of: start at apartment, hop on the Mount Vernon Trail, run across the George Mason Memorial Bridge into DC, and follow some trails in DC until I reach my desired distance. Today's run took me to the back end of the Lincoln Memorial.

For the most part, the more interesting sights are in DC. Today's top 3 included:
1) Crew team going down the Potomac River
2) Group of 3 training on the Lincoln Memorial steps - I feel like just half an hour of these stairs would be harder than my training run...
3) Two male mallard ducks with no females in sight. I wonder if ducks can be gay?

However, today's most interesting moment is reserved for the streets of Crystal City. Near the Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) intersection, I crossed the street with a white glowing "Walk" sign... but I must not have realized it was a green light... well, it wasn't. A taxicab ran a red light about 10 feet in front of me. Luckily, there wasn't too much oncoming traffic, so there was no collision. However, 5 seconds in, a cop speeds by (going the right direction) and pulls the rogue taxi over. Justice was served.

I am hypervigilant about where I run and always keep an eye on my surroundings, but today's traffic mishap proved that I cannot be too careful. Thank goodness I take public transportation to work and don't have to deal with idiot drivers like the cab driver every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment