Saturday, May 14, 2011

6 Mile Run - Saturday, May 14

According to my training plan, this week is considered a stepback week. About every three weeks, I run less during my long run to give my body a chance to relax. I hate the thought of stepback weeks; they make me feel as though I am stagnant or going backwards. However, I know that they are there for a reason and that by the end of my training cycle, they will be just as essential to my progression as the long runs. I guess it sort of worked out, though. The distance was short enough that it could be run on the treadmill, and today was a rainy day.

It felt like any other training run for me: turn the TV to the news (but keep the remote handy in case stories start to repeat themselves); set my time, pace and incline; and flip open the pages of The Economist to block the screen. My abilities to read magazines and read captions on TV have helped me immensely in my weekday runs. They allow me to complete my runs on autopilot while keeping up to date on current events and the day's news.

For some strange reason, my body didn't feel so great on today's run. I guess by the end of it, I was extra thankful that it was a stepback week. Now I have all week to figure out what went wrong and fix it before next weekend's 11 miler. It can only get better - and it will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment