Sunday, October 30, 2011

Thank You

Before I say anything about my marathon experience, I must first thank everyone who helped me to get there:

  • Thank you to the Periclean Scholars, partners, and mentors, including Tom and Steve, for being a constant source of inspiration along my training runs and during the marathon. I am proud of all you have done and will continue to do for our communities and for the world.
  • Thank you to everyone who came out to the race to support me, including my entire family, Elyse, Jason's family, and more friends, family, and coworkers whom I did not see on the course, including my cousins Kristen and Kerianne.
  • Thank you to everyone who donated to Periclean Scholars and everyone who will donate now that I have accomplished this goal.
  • Thank you to so many of my coworkers and friends for showing interest in my running and asking me for running/workout advice.
  • Thank you to Kate from the Arlington Road Runners for pacing with me for so much of today's marathon.
  • Thank you to Jason to introducing me to the Arlington Road Runners, for running with me during training, and for being a constant source of strength and inspiration.
  • Thank you to all of the Arlington Road Runners for support on many long runs.
  • Thank you to Alex at the FAA for being an inspiration back in February to run this marathon.
  • Thank you to all of my friends who posted on my blog and offered advice, such as Steve, Sarah, CJ, Megan, and more.
  • Thank you to God and Jesus, through whom this marathon was possible and without whom nothing is possible.
When I have the energy, I will detail today's marathon experience, but for now, the essentials:

  • I finished in 4:13:34, which was enough to beat Drew Carey (at 4:37:10). 
  • I hit some sort of wall HARD around mile 15. Everything got tight, breathing got a little harder, and I had to suck down Powerade at a more rapid rate. At the half marathon point, my splits were good and I felt pretty good, but as I continued on, my only goal was to finish without walking. I am glad to say I accomplished that goal.
  • The signs were hilarious, the crowd support was strong, and I could not have imagined a better marathon experience.

1 comment:

  1. You did it Jill. We are so happy for you. An incredible feat. We admire your perseverance, dedication, stamina, endurance, and commitment to your goal in support of Project Pericles. It was great being there with you at the MCM run. We were happy to support your efforts. Congratulations! We love you.

    ReplyDelete