Saturday, October 1, 2011

21 Mile Run - Saturday 10/1

I decided to make this weekend's 20 miler into a 21 miler, pending how I would feel toward the end of the run. I ran 31 miles during the week, so I figured, why not have another 52 mile week to boost my confidence going into race day? I repeated my 20 mile course from two weeks ago, and then I threw in a one-mile loop near my apartment complex to complete the run. I am glad to report that I accomplished my goal at my training pace and without any desire to stop.

Prior to running, I took my dog on a brief walk to check the temperature. It was a little chilly, so I threw on some long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and a light jacket. After her walk, I checked the forecast. It said that we would get rain starting at 1 p.m., but I kept the jacket on as a preventative measure.

When I walked outside with my gear on, I saw one of my dog's friends and his owner. She is also a runner. She told me, "You know that it's raining, right?" I pointed to my jacket and waterproof sweatpants and said, "I'm as ready as I'll ever be!"

Because of the change in weather, this morning's run truly became a run to test the equipment. I would see if my attire would hold up through the rain, and I would see if I was under- or over-dressed. I also brought along some Clif Shot Blocks, to see how they would hold up on an even longer run.

More than anything else, though, the main equipment that was tested was my drive and willpower. From the morning chat with my dog owner friend, to each rain drop that landed in my eye, to the long distance itself, I had to put mind over matter throughout the entire run and not let anything stop me from getting it done.

It was on this run that I was incredibly thankful that I had chosen the Periclean Scholars as my organization to support, because the group got me through the mental part of this run. I recalled the days of building Rosemary's house, of getting up at the crack of dawn in the rainy season to begin work. I would get up after a night of restless sleep, because we had a leaky roof in the visitor house (hence, why no Zambians occupied it). We were in the village of Kawama for a set amount of time, and each moment was valuable. There was no possibility of staying inside out of the rain in a climate-controlled environment. We were there to get work done. My scrubs were drenched at the end of each workday, and if there was no sun out, we would not get a hot shower from our solar showers.

I do have many fond memories from Zambia, and these are most of what I have shared with you. My mentor, Steve, said during the rainy workdays that at the end of all of this, we would look back fondly on our experience and wish we could have it back. This is mostly true; I would love to relive the smiling Zambian faces, the beautiful church service, the delicious nshima and vitumbuas, Victoria Falls, and the safari. However, the memories of the difficult parts - the instances of character building - are what are truly getting me through the toughest spots in marathon training. Each brick I lifted, each rainstorm I endured, each vitamin C tablet I had to take, each of these things and more provided so much inspiration on today's run.

In spite of the rain, there continued to be an abundance of runners on the trails. Many had their team t-shirts on. I saw a lot of runners from the Team to End Aids today. Most of the runners were dressed for the weather, but my mouth almost dropped when I saw a runner with nothing but shorts and sneakers on. How he could do that was beyond me.

Hains Point continued to be a popular destination for racers. This morning, I saw a large group of people with t-shirts with the acronyms FUM/LAC on them. While running, a group of three women that ran near me asked one of the FUM/LAC folks what they were running for. One of them said, "Cancer!" The girls cheered out, "Great cause!" and continued on their run. I tried to look FUM/LAC up (even with the key word cancer), but I was not successful in discovering what it meant.

I continued up the Rock Creek Park trails and saw that the participants in the Solar Decathlon had cleaned up their act. In fact, they had built a walkway to an information tent on the south side of the park. It finally looked like a complex that could be sustainable!

As I continued onto the mall, tourists were everywhere with their massive umbrellas. Those who wanted to visit the Washington Monument were out of luck, because it was closed to the public. The entrance was taped off, and nobody was on the grassy area by the monument. I did look up and I noticed some dark spots near the tip; I wonder if that was the area where they were doing the repairs.

Until my turnaround point past the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial, the only exciting thing that happened was that I got more raindrops in my eye. As I headed back west, I noticed seven martial artists on the mall by 7th and Constitution. Each of them wore a white robe, and they each had a different colored belt. They shouted out some choppy chants in unison with each movement, and then ended with what sounded to me like "Hai!"

Georgetown provided a different sort of challenge today. Because the walkways are mostly brick, I was careful not to slip with each step. I did not have to worry so much about people clogging up the walkways, as it seemed they mostly decided to stay home instead of go out in the rain.

As I headed across the Key Bridge, I felt the strongest crosswinds I believe I have felt throughout training. I held onto my water bottle, for if it had blown over the bridge, I would have lost my keys, Clif Shot Blocks, Pepto, band-aids and run map. (My water bottle pocket sure does store a lot!) Luckily, I made it across in one piece - a little chillier, I might add, but a little more dry, as well.

Heading south along the trail, I saw the usual groups of runners, the occasional cyclist, and a novelty: three long boats for crew in the water. During this time, I think my mind sort of shut off. I recalled Lori in the Spirit of the Marathon saying that at times, her mind would just shut off during the course of a run and she would lose miles; she would be running, but not focused or present in it. After returning to thinking about running, she would discover that she had logged a couple of extra miles. I am glad to be aware that I have this talent, too.

As I returned home, I felt good, so I completed the one-mile loop in my neighborhood to make today's run into a solid 21 mile effort. I thought about the emotions I would feel at the end of the marathon, and how, even though today's run did require a little extra willpower, it was all worth it.

Over the course of my run, I popped two of my Clif Shot Blocks. About 20 minutes or so after each of them, I felt the urge to go to the bathroom. Thankfully, the Imodium I took beforehand worked, and the urge quickly passed. Yes, each of them did give me some extra energy, but I am not sure if that reward will be worth the risk of a bathroom stop during the marathon. I might bring two along just in case things change, but I am not certain that I will use them during the race after today's experience.

The rest of my equipment help up just fine. I ran well in my pants, although for the marathon I might invest in a pair of compression pants. My jacket was drenched, but that was what I expected after three and a half hours of running. The water bottle, my undergarments, my hairties, and my watch all performed as expected. My two-week-old pair of running shoes held up and did not give me any blisters.

After months of training, the marathon is now less than a month away. This is the longest run I will complete before it, although I will not consider next week to be my "taper". I think I will try for between 16 and 18 miles next Saturday; this upcoming week is a filler week, so I can make it up as I go. I want to step back a little bit, but not so much that my body feels like it's on a taper yet. Stay tuned for next Saturday's entry as I get one step closer to running the MCM.

No comments:

Post a Comment