Friday, October 28, 2011

Chitenge Day

I know that many of you had been eagerly anticipating the day I would wear a chitenge to work. (The chitenge is the traditional Zambian dress, and I wore one each day while serving in the country.) Well, that day happened... today! Since I had not made my goal, I didn't wear the red, white, and blue chitenge; I wore the red and orange one.

Welcome to the FAA!
Wearing the chitenge to work so close to the race helped to put me in the right state of mind. Every person I spoke to about Periclean Scholars as a result of wearing this chitenge made me believe I had done the right thing in choosing it as my beneficiary. Even on my very last work day before the marathon, awareness of the program and its benefits to the global community rose significantly. I believe that I am running for the right group, and I believe that people will continue to support me this close to the marathon.

Here are a couple of extra items from work that I thought you, the readers, would enjoy - and would not require a security clearance for you to view:

The stop sign at my desk - used in emergency evacuations, it is a "Start" sign the rest of the time.

My MCM countdown that I started 100 days out. We only have two more days left!
Federal employees are very giving. They take part in the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) at the end of each year.
Very true!
My chitenge day reminded me, once again, of just how powerful the influence of those around me has been. My family and friends donated to get me to wear the chitenge to work, which inspired me to write strong posts about the Periclean program for their education. My coworkers asked me about my race and about how to get in better shape, which inspired me to be a model marathoner-in-training for their benefit. These words of encouragement cement my place as a global citizen who uses running as a tool to better not only herself, but the organizations and people she cares most about.

Thank you for the inspiration to wear the chitenge to work, and for challenging me each and every day to live up to and exceed expectations for myself as a human being, runner, and global citizen.

1 comment: